Since 2015, the Seatoun Village Hall and St Christopher’s has been operating as a community venue for everyone living on the Te Motu Kairangi and throughout Wellington.
Prior to this it was the Seatoun Presbyterian Parish church and hall.
The Miramar Peninsula Community Trust was set up to develop and actively encourage and facilitate a range of community activities, one off events and making the venues available for private hires.
Our Trustees are:
Richard Stubbs (Chairman), Elaine Newson (Secretary), Malcolm Standage (Treasurer), Gillie Coxill, Malcolm Woods, Craig Oliver, Kevin Lavery and Anna Mercier.
Any of the Trustees can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The corner of Forres and Ventnor Streets where St Christopher’s and the Seatoun Village Hall stand, was a place of worship for Seatoun folk from the early 1900s.
The first Presbyterian service in Seatoun was organised in 1910 by Mr McFarlane and the Rev Patterson. Services continued in a room in a butcher’s shop in Worser Bay until 1913 when a small group of 14 people raised the money for a church building. That wooden structure, which cost £216 and was 30ft by 20ft (9m by 6m), was built on the site that is now occupied by St Christopher’s. In 1919 it was moved to its present position, altered and extended over the years, and continues to serve the community as the Seatoun Village Hall. In 1932, the church which now stands here, was opened by the Governor General, Lord Bledisloe.
The architect, William Fielding, had designed other landmark buildings in Wellington. He chose the Romanesque Revival style with its solid masonry construction, arched windows and sense of permanence. By 1940, thanks to gifts from the congregation and bequests from local residents Mrs Urie and Mr McGill, it was debt free.
Features of the church include the historic Tracker organ, stained glass windows and the ‘Wahine Cross’ crafted by Mr Joe Gibson from mahogany salvaged from the wreck of the Wahine.Saint Christopher is the patron saint of travellers. It’s a fitting name for a church that has been buffeted by Wellington storms, shaken by earthquakes and survived changing economic conditions.
The church’s congregation also had its movers and shakers – a remarkable group of ministers and lay people who were visionary, scholarly and generous.
St Christopher’s Parish was closed by the Presbyterian Church in 2013 and the property was sold in 2015. It was purchased by local benefactors and reopened under the management of a community trust which ensures that it continues to be used by Seatoun residents and the wider community.
Interested in what's on at Seatoun Village Hall & St Christophers?
Find out more about the range of activites on offer
With our two beautiful venues, and many configurations within our venues - we have a range of options available to suit most events, classes or functions.
St Christopher’s is not a parish church so you may celebrate a religious or a civil service, or a same-sex wedding here. We are welcoming of all people.
As our community venues are driven by the community, for the community - we welcome anyone who wishes to get involved!